Thursday, March 6, 2008

Harmonia Review

I'm not going to pretend that I'm some kind of authority on Krautrock or improvised electronic music from the 1970s, but I am comfortable in saying that Harmonia's Live 1974 is one of the top releases of the genre, regardless of the fact that is was only recently made available. Placed into its original and proper historical context, it's an amazing piece of work. There aren't many recordings that have been able to sustain their relevancy over time, but this is certainly one of them. It makes me wonder how many other undocumented pieces of music history are out there waiting to be discovered. Even by today's standards, Harmonia's music is strikingly fresh and innovative, offering its listeners perspectives of music that are rarely explored.

You can read my review of the album in this week's North Coast Journal. And if anyone out there knows how I can get my hands on the vinyl version of this for less than $25, please let me know.

No comments: